An astronomy reference app for Apple iPhone and Apple Watch
My Messier is a quick reference of Messier objects: a list of the most famous galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters in astronomy.
The app includes all 110 objects in the catalog compiled by the 18th century French astronomer Charles Messier.
Each entry contains essential information for the object, such as size, brightness, and distance, as well as stunning images from the Hubble Space Telescope and other observatories and satellites. No internet connection is required for the basic data and images, but a link is provided to open a Wikipedia page on the object for more information if you do have internet.
Convenient for experienced astronomers.
Educational for novice stargazers.
Impress your friends by instantly accessing facts on the objects they are seeing in your telescope.
Make it your personal list by checking off objects you’ve seen, or intend to.
Supports Apple Watch! Holds information for all 110 objects on your wrist, including images. Browse the catalog anytime, anywhere, without taking out your phone. Supports Apple Watch complications for quick access.
The object list shows at a glance the Messier number, common name or object type, the constellation it appears in, and a thumbnail image.
Select an object for detailed information:
For the iPhone and Apple Watch, information includes:
– Image of the object.
– Alternate designation, such as NGC number.
– Common name or nickname, if any.
– Type of object: galaxy, nebula, globular cluster, open cluster, etc.
– Constellation in which it is found.
– Location coordinates in right ascension and declination.
– Visual magnitude (brightness).
– Apparent size in degrees of arc.
– Distance in light years.
– An interesting fact about the object.
For the iPhone, the app also features:
– A link to a Wikipedia article on the object (internet access required).
– A checkbox to mark objects you have observed, or wish to observe.
– An “about” page for a description of the catalog and data.
– Tap on an image to zoom in (most are in high resolution color).
Pinch-zoom the image in and out:
“About” screen with explanation of the object data:
Ever been at a stargazing party and ask someone with a telescope, “what are you looking at?” and they say something like “M96”, and you have no idea what that is? A few taps on your iPhone or Apple Watch with the My Messier app will inform, amaze, and help you better appreciate the gems of the night sky.
My Messier was designed for Apple iPhone and Apple Watch but also runs on Apple iPad and iPod touch.
iOS version 8 or later required.
Download My Messier on the App Store
Questions, comments? contact
Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.